In New Jersey, having a heating system is essential, considering that winter temperatures commonly drop to the 20s and 30s. Fall is the ideal time to take a look at your furnace and make sure it’s up to the job of keeping you warm over the winter months.
A tune-up is as important to your heating system as regularly scheduled maintenance is to your vehicle. Your technician can correct problems before they become major issues.
But if you’ve overlooked your regular service, or your furnace has simply run its course, take note of these signs. Your furnace could be about to fail.
- Age. A furnace isn’t designed to last forever, and if yours is 16 or older it’s a good idea to consider a replacement.
- Bills. Have your bills been steadily rising? It may not be because your utility company is raising its rates. Instead, your heating system could be losing significant efficiency.
- Repairs. Are you making repairs more frequently? This is an earmark of a dying system.
- Thermostat. Does your system keep your home consistently warm, or do you continually have to adjust your thermostat to maintain even temperatures in all rooms?
- Visible signs. Aging systems show signs of declining health. Yellow burner flames (instead of blue), soot marks around your unit and rust on flue or vent pipes are all symptoms of an aging system.
- Noises. You’ll often get audible clues that your system is on its last legs. Rattling, groaning and squealing are all signs that you need a new furnace.
- Health. A crack in your heat exchanger can release deadly carbon monoxide. Headaches, dizziness and nausea may alert you to this danger.
For over 30 years, A.D.E. Heating and Cooling, Inc. has served homeowners in New Jersey. Contact us with any questions about your furnace. We’re happy to answer them. (609) 693-6050